WHY LIFE INSURANCE
Life insurance provides money at death. Life insurance is a unique alternative to investments. It provides death benefit protection and income tax status not afforded to other assets…life insurance death benefits can be paid income and estate tax free if set up properly.
We believe that life insurance should be an investment alternative in every truly diversified portfolio. Life insurance, almost without exception, is the only solution that offers the purchaser a guaranteed* tax-free dollar amount of return. What other vehicle offers you comparable stability and predictability?
Properly planned and executed life insurance solutions:
- May increase the value of IRAs, retirement funds and annuities up to
- 20 times, tax-free for your heirs and charities
- May reduce your estate tax costs up to 90%
- May reduce or eliminate premiums on your existing life insurance policy
*Guarantees are subject to the claims paying ability of the issuing insurance company.
Like all estate planning tools, life insurance needs to be reviewed periodically to be certain that your product still represents an effective strategy to accomplish your planning goals. Many people own great policies from terrific companies that are no longer the most effective tool to accomplish their current goals. Furthermore, many policy’s performance is based on assumptions of interest and mortality that have likely changed since they were purchased.
A policy review helps ensure:
- You have optimal coverage with low premium payments
- You know whether or not your coverage is sufficient
- You know whether your policy is guaranteed to stay in effect for your lifetime
- You know whether your policy is in danger of lapsing and causing large income tax liabilities
- You know whether incorrect ownership has made the policy part of your taxable estate
- You know whether the insurer’s (major ratings agencies) ratings have dropped
- You have the opportunity to uncover underperforming policies and avert negative consequences
Our Life Insurance Advisors take the time to thoroughly review your policy, share recommendations, and offer solutions that help create and preserve wealth.
The focus of “traditional” estate planning is reducing your assets, essentially the estate value, in order to pay less income tax and estate tax costs.
Instead, the focus of life insurance in estate planning is to allow you to leave your heirs and favorite charities the absolute most money possible. Life insurance is a simple solution for “tricky” estate planning situations:
- Second marriage or a new spouse
- The introduction of stepchildren
- Providing selective after death financial aid to loved ones
Properly structured life insurance can be an effective tool to guarantee your legacy lives on in virtual perpetuity. Strategic use of life insurance in legacy planning allows you to:
- Increase the total good you can do
- Expand the length of your giving to future generations
- Increase the amount of charitable contributions to a particular charity or academic institution
- Create and fund a private foundation
- Provide an educational trust at the institution of your choice
- Offer “after life” fiscal oversight
- Perpetuate generational wealth
- Empower social change directly or through your children and grandchildren
Life insurance allows you to give your estate away twice, once to your heirs and once to charity. Planned giving opportunities include:
- Creating an endowment
- Immortalizing your giving
- Exploring the innovative use of gifting to Public and Private Foundations and creating substantial income and estate tax-free death benefits
- The opportunity to create a lasting legacy that will benefit your favorite charities for generations to come
- Converting your Social Security surplus income into a robust gift for your favorite charity
Many clients accumulate money in their retirement plans and don’t need the income when they are ready to retire. They turn a terrific retirement planning vehicle into a terrible estate planning vehicle that could be subject to double taxation when they die.
If you don’t need the Required Minimum Distributions or more to live on, why not:
- Eliminate the mandatory, taxable “Required Minimum Distribution” at age 70 and a half years old
- Avoid losing up to 75% of your IRA to estate and income taxes, upon your death
- Help loved ones avoid double taxation upon your death
- Maximize the money left to your children, grandchildren and charities
- Effectively increase the ultimate value of your IRA 10 to 20 times its current value
Life insurance is a key to unlocking the full potential of your IRA.
LIFE INSURANCE SETTLEMENTS
Life settlements* can be an ideal tool for people who no longer want or are unable to afford their life insurance policies. In the past the only way out of an insurance policy was to die or surrender the policy for its cash surrender value.
A life settlement is an important alternative to consider. Life insurance settlements allow institutional investors to purchase life insurance policies from policy owners. You may be able to sell a policy based on your life expectancy and current health for well over the cash value. Occasionally, some people sell their old policies and use the proceeds to then buy a more cost effective policy, or invest the money however they see fit.
* In a life settlement transaction the seller receives a lump sum payment from the purchaser of a life settlement - typically for more than the policy’s cash surrender value but less than the net death benefit. As opposed to life insurance surrenders, they may take weeks or longer to complete.
Please note that the number of bidders for a policy may be limited; proceeds from sales of similar policies may vary and may be subject to claims of creditors. Receipt of proceeds may impact eligibility for government benefits and entitlements. Prior to sale, the insured should consider the continued need for coverage, impact to estate plans, availability of insurance, cost of comparable coverage, and tax implications. There may be high fees associated with the sale of a life settlement and your personal medical information may be disclosed to 3rd parties. Please consult us about your individual circumstances.
401-KAYE RETIREMENT PLAN
Life insurance allows adult children to guarantee their inheritance and retirement benefits, down to the penny, by purchasing insurance on their parents. They can in essence, be the beneficiary. For younger adults and investors, the reality is that you will likely be ready to retire when your parents pass away and the insurance proceeds will be paid. We can also design a policy where the death benefit increases each year by the premium payment that is paid!
Discounted Annuities are a stream of income paid by a life insurance company and purchased at a discount from the original purchase price. They offer excellent yields compared to other fixed income alternatives with the safety and financial security of the insurance company making the payments.
For many years, these annuities were only sold in groups to financial institutions. We are pleased to be able to offer these products to our individual clients.